Monday, September 23, 2013

Mercy...or Schnibbles Me Timbers!

Hooray for finished quilt tops! Carrie Nelson is a genius and I loved this latest Schnibbles pattern, "Mercerie".  And I've finished in time to email my photo to join the Schnibbles Parade...though not totally quilted and finished.
 I'd like to use binding and backing fabric that's part of the collection of fabric I chose, plus I got carried away and made the quilt larger than I'm comfortable quilting in my machine!  The fabric is Sunnyside by Kate Spain for Moda.  The precuts had arrived to my local quilt shop and I excitedly snatched up some charm square packs.  I've gotten a lot out of these charm squares...two churn dash baby quilts and Mercerie!  The bolts haven't arrived yet...which is generally the case.  For some reason, the precuts arrive before the bolts.  

This is how my top looked before I decided to add another row.  It was such an odd dimension, but I had really wanted to keep the look of the number "88"!  I loved that part!  This number reminds me of Dale Earnhardt, Jr. and Nascar :-) So, after adding the row, the number isn't quite as obvious :-( 





 It wasn't a throw, lap, crib or any standard size!  Not sure what I did, lol! Definitely got carried away ... :-)
And this may be the only time you may get to see my backside :-) because I love the way Carrie tells us how to roll and clip our seams, as opposed to pressing open.  This is how my rolled seams appeared:

And for the finished top...

I took it to my local quilt shop and believe I may have sold the pattern and last of the charm squares!
The finished dimension is approx. 43"x66"
The post office is on my list of errands today...excited to get my finished churn dash quilt off to parents and their new baby in Texas.  It was fun to use the Sasparillo yellow "Texas Star" for the backing and binding.  The pattern is Camille Roskelley's churn dash in her "Simply Retro" book.  I love her books and patterns!!  



Checking out!  Off to run my errands and hopefully start building a barn!!
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment